Friday, July 11, 2014

Today I'm writing about my hair.  I think most cancer patients will agree that the loss of their hair is a pretty bitter pill to swallow.  I found a blog of a young woman, early thirties, with a new-born baby, battling cancer.  I think her blog was called "mommybeatingcancer," or something similar.  She posted pictures of her hair regrowth every month, and it was an awesome site...really gave me hope that this loss is only temporary, that "this too shall pass."  But until I have my hair back, the way I want it, I'm going to plan for the storm and be like that ever-ready boyscout...always prepared...

And this really has been a pretty good last couple of days.  Yesterday Drake had a baseball game in Lansing, and I learned that it was exactly one block from an amazing wig shop that everyone says is just the best in helping chemo patients get ready for hair loss.  I called my insurance company, learned that wigs (excuse me...cranial prosthesis. :) are indeed covered, and I am allowed two wigs in a 12 month period, and they will reimburse me if I buy it at a non-participating shop.  When I learned that I can not only get one wig, but two, and the dollar amount was incredibly more than I originally thought, I was pretty excited.  (Well, as excited as anyone can get shopping for fake hair). If anyone is interested, the shop is called Elegance Studio, and their web site is amazing.  They claim to have over 1500 wigs...in stock....I called, made my appointment, and went there ready to spend some money.

Anyone who knows me knows I'm kind of weird about my hair...I often cut it myself, highlight it in my bathroom, get it cut professionally about once a year, and couldn't imagine spending big bucks regularly at the salon...but still, I love my hair.  And I am not lying when I say I am often told that I have pretty hair.  In fact, today I was in line to get a new card at Soaring Eagle, and the lady smiled at me, and told me how pretty my hair looked.  It's an incredible compliment, but a shot to the gut, all at the same time.  I just said "thank you."  At least I didn't burst into tears like I did in Kohl's when a woman told me the same thing about 3 weeks ago, and I had to leave the store.  I think I've definitely made progress in coming to terms with this impending, inevitable loss.

Anyway, I know I already have two wigs...the one I bought in town, and the one my girlfriend gave me, and they are both very nice.  I'm sure I will have TEN wigs before this ordeal is over, and while I like them both, and will definitely wear them, I like the idea of being fitted and treated by a professional.

Pamela, the owner of the shop, had me wait while she set up, in an area that looked like a beauty shop.  She played with my own hair, learned about me, and asked questions about my personality.  She devised that I am a "girly-girl" who likes wearing makeup and doing my hair.  She pulled my hair into a cap, and brought out a longish blonde wig, and put it on my head.  I learned that I have a "standard-sized" head....(she couldn't say that about my size 10 feet, but that's beside the point...) anyway, she started playing with it, moving the part around, plumping the top, etc.  As she was doing this,  she was telling me about the different kind of wigs.  Hand tied...where each strand is tied into the cap, machine-woven (equals hot!  Not good for someone who's been told she will go right into moenopause with the chemo!) mono-filament (which means you can move the part around), lace-front, synthetic, and real, human hair.  I tried on several wigs...a woman who was training in the salon would nod approval, or kind of shake her head at me behind her bosses' head , and I really didn't like anything that was short, or too bleachy- blonde, or too curly.  She brought them to me, and I tried them on.  I tried on anything she brought me, but I told her I really wanted to try a human hair wig...I know they are the most expensive, but also, the most realistic, for obvious reasons.  She put one on me, and I was sold!  It was dark, but styled kind of similar to my natural hair.  I really loved it.

I took two pictures, "selfies," of myself, and sent them to my mom by text.  Of the blonde one, my dad asked, "Is Kim wearing a wig?"

Want to hear the irony?  I ended up getting the very first wig she tried on me, and the brunette one, made of real human hair.  I also bought a baseball hat with long hair attached to it, and a little cap to wear....whenever you want a break from a wig, I guess.  She mentioned how your head can get cold...wow!  Never even thought of that, and all sorts of accessories necessary to maintain your stable of hairpieces...

Being prepared feels good.  And I even made my son's baseball game, and watched him make a stunning, running, over-the-shoulder catch in left field that ended the game with a win...I was so proud of him.  And I want him to never be embarrassed of me, of the way I look...even though I'm going to be sick, I still want to feel beautiful... I wonder if anyone will tell me how pretty my hair is when I'm wearing one of my wigs???

2 comments:

  1. The two shades of Kim: blonde and brunette! :-) Great idea to get set up before things are actually needed.

    Karen Wood

    ReplyDelete
  2. People always say that our hair is our crowning glory, so I know that losing yours is a really difficult phase to go through. I admire all those people who go through that kind of situation with great will and a positive mind. Thank you for sharing your story, Kim! You truly are an inspiration. All the best to you!

    Byron Brewer @ Knight and Sanders

    ReplyDelete