Friday, August 29, 2014

This was a milestone week on many fronts.  On Tuesday, I officially went back to work.  Every year, the teachers go back a week ahead of the kids for inservice.  The first day is a big one...all of the employees of our district meet, and for the last few years, it's been at the Nazarene Church on M-50.  It's nice to meet there...it's comfortable, air conditioned (we had a heat index of 95 degrees that day), and you get to see everyone from all of the other buildings.  It's also very motivating, as they have excellent guest speakers for us to listen to.  It was also very emotional for me, as I saw a lot of people who knew about my condition, but hadn't seen me in person...lots of hugs, lots of "how are you feeling," and everything in between...it was hard to keep a dry eye for a lot of the morning.  It was good to be back.  It felt normal, and normal is good.

The next milestone occurred that same Tuesday afternoon...I completed my last A/C bi-weekly chemo treatment.  The nurses brought me a gift from Allegiance...it seems their massage therapists and estheticians have been undergoing special training for cancer patients, and I was given a facial and lymphatic massage...for free!  I was pretty blown away at the gesture...they even gave one to my mom, too, as she's been to most of my treatments with me.  I chose to do the chemo first...the biggest reason was the first four rounds of A/C are supposed to be the most difficult...I still have to get through the effects of the next two weeks, but I know I'll get through it... Bring on the Taxol!

The next day, Wednesday...inservice in my own building.  I'd gotten some pretty awesome news about my start of this school year...I have a substitute teacher that will be with me every day for the first six weeks of school...our first marking period.  He's a man I've known for years, subbed in our building, and the kids are very fond of him, and he will be there all day...I will teach my first two classes (we are on a five hour day, I teach four classes and have one period for planning...my schedule happens to be teach the first two,  plan, and teach the last two).  My sub will teach my last two hours...I will give him all the work and guidance he needs during our morning planning...he will do all the class stuff and take that stress off my shoulders.  It couldn't have worked out any better than this.  Basically, about a week ago I had a meltdown...literally, when I left school, worrying about working full time...the heat of the classroom in the afternoon with no air conditioning, in a wig, and going through a new chemo regimen which, though said to be easier, is still unknown...Unfortunately, my mom was on the other end of the phone when I had it.  She just listened, let me rant rave and cry, and didn't judge...I took a bath to relax, and came up with the idea of teaching mornings only...to start...and am so relieved it's come together, I about cried from gratitude.  If I'm not able to make it in one morning...he will be there.  If I'm sick and have to leave early...he will be there.  Bless my principal and superintendent for allowing this to happen...it's a huge weight off my shoulders.  I can't wait for Tuesday, and the chance to make this happen!

Wednesday afternoon was my next milestone...my last neulasta shot.  When I start Taxol, no added shots...unless needed.  However, I did get an earful about my next regiment...I'm not allowed to drive myself, because half of my infusion is a big old dose of Benadryl to ward off allergic reactions...they are afraid to let you drive, so I have to have a driver.  Ok, no big deal, I'll let my mom pick me up...she's more than willing, I'll take her up on her offer.   Also, upcoming side effects to look forward to...neuropathy in hands and feet seem to be pretty common...also, more  hair loss, including the possibility of the eyebrows and eyelashes...I still have all my body hair, and that's on the list, too...however, my leg hair growth has severely slowed down.  I've gone from shaving my legs every day, to about every five...I have so little to do in the shower, I used to be in there forever...do you know how long it took to rinse my hair from shampoo and conditioner alone?  And shave every day? I will say, if there are any positive things about chemo, is it's definitely giving me a little extra time in the morning...except when you figure in all the time it takes to apply all that self tanner business...oh well, it all evens out.  I'm taking this weekend to relax, rest, and mentally prepare for the start of school.  My fellow teachers and I planned an amazing "getting to know you" activity that we will do with all of our students at once...it was so energizing to be back to planning and preparing...I think I'm finally ready to go back to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment