Friday, June 27, 2014

I can't get over how many offers of support I've received in the last few days from so many people...sharing my diagnosis on Facebook, I believe, was the right decision for me.  Offers of meals brought to my home, rides to treatments (I'm pretty sure after the first one I'll be able to drive myself), even help getting wigs and hair pieces....so unbelievable is the generosity of my Facebook "friends."  That is what I am witnessing...true friendship.

Yesterday, after watching my son Drake play baseball at Adrian College, was a day of talking on the phone.  I talked to my Aunt Susie about my condition.  I talked to my admitting nurse about pre-op instructions, medications, and concerns.  I talked to my mom.  And I talked to my sister-in-law Mary, who surprised me once again, in a good way, about changes going on in her life.

Last night after the phone calls my mom called back and asked me to go to the movies...an excellent distraction, to be sure.  "What are we going to see?"  I wondered.  Near the end of this past school year one of my senior boys started really hounding me about reading a book that he loved, and it was going to be a movie that was being released this summer, too.  "Ok, what's the book?"  I asked him.  "I' ll consider it since you love it so much."  He told me it was called "A Fault in Our.Stars."  About teenagers in love.  And cancer.  After listening to my student go on and on about that book and movie, it sounded amazing.   Then, I got my own diagnosis....  So, My mom and I went to see Jersey Boys....not the kid with cancer movie...too close to home.  And it was a pretty good movie, too.

My girlfriend called me while I was driving to the movie, the one who promised me her fabulous "Las Vegas" wig, saying she wanted to bring it over...when I got home from the movie, she had brought me a gift.  The wig, of course.  And self tanner (because she understands my need for the golden glow).  And a hat.  I put that wig on....and my husband loved it!  And I didn't hate it!  In fact, I kind of liked it!  And I took a picture of myself in that new hairpiece...which by the way has streaks of red in it!...and sent her that picture.  Thank you Gidget, for being such a great friend.  Thank you, everyone, for your support. Thank you, mom, for buying my movie ticket.  I had a really nice evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment